Sunday, February 05, 2006

First Email to Supporters and Friends, from 1/23/06 (sorry so late!)

Dear Supporters and Friends,

OMYGOSH. I really took for granted a few things!

1. travel time- the last trip over here, the travel got
split up. We did the long leg of the journey one day,
relaxed in Sydney, then finished the journey another day.
This time, I went the entire way in about 40 (+/-) hours.

2.FREE BATHS- all that travel sure makes you smell! So 4
of us paid $9 US to take showers at the airport in Seoul,
Korea. And you bet I'll be doing it again coming home!!
Best $9 I ever spent!!

3. On the same line, I think I just took baths/showers in
general for granted!! I have the extreme pleasure of
taking BUCKET showers everyday here. Yes Folks, you fill a
bucket, turn a little spiguit-thingy, and let it rain on
you, etc. etc. It is NO FUN to run out of water when
you're still soapy!!

4. The importance of language, language's role in the
conveyance of the Gospel.- how do you think you're going
to most effectively reach tribal people with the gospel?
By going in and immediately presenting the Gospel in
either English or the trade language? OR by spending time
learning their heart language- the language they think and
dream in- and using that to present the gospel?

There was a lot covered today... Of course there is a
sense of urgency in sharing the gospel, but at what
expense to we hurry, and do things in an unintentionally
detrimental manner? Do we tend to bring in western culture
to the tribal church? Or do we present the message of the
Word within the context of their language and culture, and
allow the indigenous believers to live out their worship
and practice spiritual truths in that same context?

Today, we had a nice big lesson on "syncretism". That is,
the mixing of 2 belief systems, and creating a new belief
with characteristics of both. Once upon a time, There was
a tribe called the "Asiana" in New Britain, New Guinea.
They traditionally worship the Sun, and they believed that
if you drank pig's blood, you would become invisible to
the sun, and the sun could not punish you then.

Well, along came some NTM-ers, and after many years of
learning the culture and language, they began teaching the
Word Chronologically. Lo and behold, a denominational
church came in while the NTM-ers were away on furlough for
a year. They told the tribe that you HAD TO be baptized,
and take communion regularly, and THEN you would please
God, and be a true Christian. They brought in their
western culture, and their western way of thinking, and
the result was sadly syncretic.

This certain church believes that you actually drink
Christ's blood, and eat His body when you take communion.
So the NTM-ers come back, and the tribal people say, "oh,
you don't have to teach us about God anymore- we know the
answer! We have the solution! All we have to do is drink
Jesus' blood, and we can become invisible to God, and we
can do what we want because he can't see us!" This was
their "easy out"- a mix of their pagan beliefs with
"Chistian practice", viewed thru the screen of these
people's culture, and voila- Syncretism.

This was the Lutheran Church- something that hits close to
home for me, because I was raised Lutheran. And to this
day- there are many many Asiana who continue to reject the
truth because of this scenario. "If you do this, or say
that, it'll get you into heaven..."

This is so sad, folks... It certainly heightens my sense
of urgency...

I thank you for helping me get here. My time here has
already surpassed my expectations! The Highlands are just
beautiful- nothing like the last time here. We are on top
of one peak, and we look into a valley, with more hills
and mountains in the distance on all sides. I can't
believe I am so fortunate to have another 5 weeks here! I
really love the staff- they have all been so open and
inviting- they ALL knew me (and the rest of the team) by
name/face when I first arrived. I really like that the
group was small, because it is really allowing for better
relationships to be made. I'm being told email time is
over... I hope to hear from you soon! I love you all, and
miss you!

Your Sister, Emily.