Sunday, August 07, 2005

One Story's Ending...

"It's not what's inside that counts- it's your actions that people see."
(Ok, who can tell that I saw Batman Begins again last night?)

It doesn't matter what is in my heart. It doesn't matter what I believe, what my opinion is, what my intentions are. It doesn't matter what my feelings are. It doesn't matter how much I've prayed, or how hard I've tried... It doesn’t matter that one or two people can see the “good”, or if God Himself has graciously allowed for personal awareness of change in heart and attitude and life.

What matters is the outer layer to that inner core. It's what people see, how I portray myself. It just doesn't matter! I can be so pure of intention and heart, try so hard, feel so strongly, pray so fervently, be so sincere- it won't add up if people can't see it... Unfortunately, we are fallible, so this is really, REALLY subjective. That stinks.

The immediate conclusion I am tempted to be drawn to is, "But what about the PEOPLE?? I can't make them see me for me. Even if I did all the outer changing possible, I can't change a person's already written perspective, if they're unable or unwilling to forgive, or allow for new beginnings. I can't stop someone from stereotyping or (my personal favorite) pidgeon-holing." This is the conclusion I want to end with so badly!

Then that story comes to mind again... "The results of my obedience to Christ is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to BE OBEDIENT."

Matt.7:20- "By your FRUIT you will be known."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily...

This is from the gal who lives in your old house! James sent me the pictures you took recently...sorry you found our home in such a mess. I had to leave in June, thinking I would be back in a week or so. Anyhow, glad you got to visit! Come back some day when I have everything in better condition!

Good luck on your journeys...sounds exciting.

Marj Watkins (marjwatkins@hotmail.com)